So the culture night miracle of the year, ranking up there with the Christmas miracle of Harry Potter getting approved, President approved hockey for this transfer only, So we went to a hockey game.
A giant statue of Lenin on the way to the stadium (this picture did not come with the others so I am going to ask him about it :0
| Warming up |
| Dinamo Moskva vs. |
| Dinamo Belarus |
| One of many fights |
| Me with my Dinamo Moskva scarf, that I'm gonna send home to be worn at Eldorado football games |
Tanner L passed the sacrament?? Holy Cow. I hope I make it home before he gets his mission call!
Seth's reached his year mark!?! No way.
What a week.
So, as you've probably seen, we went to a hockey game. It was way fun.
The package arrived! Oh man! it was a good one. Thank you so much. The pictures are fantastic. I've re-done my whole album (it's been the same pictures since the MTC). Oh, all the stuff was great. You know exactly all the things I like. Thank you so much. I tried sending you a couple packages this morning. It may have been one of the most frustrating experiences of my life. They really don't like when we wear our tags in the postoffice. I ended up sending one (it's a bunch of ties), but don't worry, there's another one coming.
Did I mention that Michael's birthday is one of the big Russian holidays: "Day of the Defenders of the Fatherland", more commonly known as "Army Day". February 23rd
B: Do you tract from door to door?
O: Well, they don't really have houses here, just gigantic apartment buildings, and it's on the verge of being illegal to go inside if not invited, and knocking on random doors really draws a lot of attention. But, if you go in and the person you are looking for is not home, we usually ring a few of the neighbors' doorbells to find out if they know who we're looking for, and sometimes you can get into some good conversations. It hasn't happened to me, but I've heard stories of missionaries getting invited in and giving lessons to neighbors. I love the idea of knocking a whole dom (house), but with my track record, my companions don't want to tempt the russian police. haha
B: How do you contact people?
O: Well, during the summer, we would do chalk drawing, but that had to stop (may or may not be my fault), and in the winter we have gone singing, but with the elections coming up, we're not allowed to gather in groups bigger than 3-4, and effective singing requires at least 6. So we're left to pass out english club invitations outside the metro, and talk with people any time you can get some one to stop long enough to say more than two words. The metro is a good place. Not as much room to run away. English club is fantastic. The one I am at right now is pretty small, but some of them are really good. Ultimately contacting just comes down to opening your mouth, and in Moscow you've got to just do it anywhere you can.
B: Do the members give you referrals?
O: Not for lack of trying (in many cases). Most of the members, especially the long-time members, don't really have aquantences outside the church.
B: What is your daily schedule like?
O: Wake, get ready, study from 8-11, area book for an hour, lunch from 12-1:30, get out and do something with our lives 'til 9, get home, spend a million years on the phone, and then go to bed 10:30. That's the pretty average day
B: How many investigators do you have right now?
O: Not enough
Well, time is running out. Sorry this was kind of a scatter brained email. Thank you so much for everything. I love you
Love
Elder Hamp

No comments:
Post a Comment