Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Barrett's email - August 16th - Chalk draw











Dear FAMABILY,
Things are going great here in Moscow! Elder R and I have not gotten arrested yet, so we're doing alright. The weather here is great. And by that I mean it changes every few days from miserably hot to insane downpouring. I love it. I use my umbrella often and it is doing a fine job. We do our laundry in a tiny little washing machine in our kitchen, then we hang them up to dry on this really cool drying rack from Ikea (yes, they have Ikea in Russia, we drove by it on my first day in Russia, and I took a picture of it, thinking of you, mom :) I don't think I need clothes yet. Everything seem to be holding up.

The flea markets are called reenoks, and they are great! Elder Roberts and I actually just discovered there's a pretty big one right above the metro station we use every day. There are 3 Big Reenoks: the main reenok, that mostly sells clothes and shoes and stuff. That's where we get ties. Elder Zinn and I went once and I got 3 pretty cool ties. We got them for 150 rubles each, but next time I think I could get them down to 100. Everything is negotiable. There's also an Electronics reenok. That one is pretty cool. And finally, the Souvenir Reenok. Holy Cow, that place is incredible! A gigantic flea market full of nesting dolls, fabreje (I know that's not how it's spelled, haha) eggs, fur hats, necklaces, wooden spoons, soviet era stuff, etc, etc. It's amazing. I've already started looking at all my stuff rather critically, determining what I will not be bringing home at the end of my mission to make room for all the stuff I will be getting my last transfer. Haha. The whole country is a giant yard sale. Everywhere on the side of the street people (mostly old babushky) just sit and sell all sorts of stuff. But Sis. Sorenson told me my first day, wait 'til your last transfer. Otherwise you have to carry it around every time you move. Good advice.

Well, time is running out. Real quick, I wanted to tell you that we finally got a meeting with that man we met the day before Elder R got here. Oh, boy, he has been prepared. I will keep you updated.

Love you
Elder H


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...